This is a hands-on experience, because web-based classes just can't deliver the same education and inspiration as this in-the-studio experience.
Build some serious recording studio chops in this exclusive live session with Eric Johnson, Kyle Brock, and Tommy Taylor re-recording Ah Via Musicom.
Producer/engineer Mark Hornsby welcomes guitar legend Eric Johnson and the original Ah Via Musicom band to Studio A for this very special 3-day class. Come to Sweetwater and learn new techniques and plenty of pro tips during this hands-on, live recording session featuring guitar legend Eric Johnson, Kyle Brock on bass, and Tommy Taylor on drums re-recording Ah Via Musicom live in Studio A. Working alongside Mark, you'll go through the entire process, from setup to final tweaks. This class is just what you need to take your own projects to a whole new level.
Learn Pro Recording Techniques
- Setting up a tracking session
- Dialing in sounds on guitars, bass, drums, keys, and vocals
- Tracking session with Mark, Eric, and his band
- Special meet-and-greet dinner with Mark, Eric, and the band
- Learning the best use of compression, EQ, and effects
- Fine-tuning guitar, bass, drums, and vocal tracks
- Employing automation
- Getting the most out of bus compression/processing
- Making the final tweaks: how to decide when the mix is done
- Overdubbing guitars, vocals, instruments, multiple takes, and more
- Comping tracks: how to choose the best takes
- Editing tracks with Pro Tools and third-party plug-ins
Eric Johnson is a diverse, versatile, and fully realized musical creator who plays guitar like no one else. Guitar Player says, “Eric is one of the most respected guitarists on the planet.” Eric has earned three Top 10 singles — “Cliffs of Dover,” which has become Johnson's signature song and won a Best Rock Instrumental Grammy, and “Trademark” and “Righteous.” It made him the first artist to ever score three Top 10 instrumentals.
Sweetwater Studios Director of Operations and Senior Producer/Engineer
Mark is an award-winning producer, engineer, musician, writer, and lecturer. Mark is known for his work with a wide variety of artists across many genres of music, from Garth Brooks and Alison Krauss to Godsmack, Steven Curtis Chapman, Big Big Train, Peter Erskine/Dr. Um, and the London Philharmonic.